Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Twist on an Old Favorite

So, I'm somewhat obsessed with updating recipes to make them a bit healthier without losing the yumminess.  As many of my test subjects can tell you the results usually come out tasting pretty great.  Brownies with whole pumpkin, veggie turkey chili and lemon cake with diet sprite (don't judge) are a few of my favorites. 

One of my other addictions, thanks to my good friend Marci, is the Everyday Food magazine.  She got me my first subscription a couple of years ago and I've been hooked ever since.  It comes in a cute little booklet with bright colors and fun recipe ideas.  I recommend it to anyone that likes to cook and wants yummy new ideas every month.

 
Anyway, she suggested I try a recipe from the October 2007 edition, Healthier Chicken Pot Pie.  Now, I always trust Marci's suggestions because she likes to cook, probably as much as I do.  However, pot pie is one of those things that is loved for its rich, creamy, fattening sauce and crust.  But, trusting soul that I am, I start last night armed with all the ingredients to give it a try......

 
Bottom Line.....IT WAS AMAZING!  Way better than any other cream and butter laden version I've ever made.  The sauce was creamy, lemony goodness and the phyllo dough was a super light and flaky crust.  I modified mine a bit to add some extra veggies (corn, yellow peppers and green onions). 

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/lighter-chicken-potpie

This is definitely a recipe that's going in my permanent recipe box and everyone should try it!  This teaches me that when Marci recommends a recipe, I need to immediately go out and buy the ingredients to test it out.

Thanks, Marci!!

No comments:

Post a Comment