Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberries!

So, remember that onslaught of fresh produce I was talking about a couple of posts ago.  It showed up on my front porch last night courtesy of my favorite "Foolish Boy Honey" friend.  He was overrun with strawberries at his house and figured I could find SOMETHING to do with them. 


Such an awesome present to have waiting for me when I got home.  Especially considering I thought I was going to have to go pick them myself. 

Then it was time to start processing them for one batch of jam last night.  The photos I'm not going to show you involve me struggling with trying to figure out my new food processor.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it to puree the berries.  I tried with a little liquid, I tried without liquid, I tried throwing the berries at the spinning blades through the feed tube.  That only resulted in sending the berries flying against the sides of the container (still whole).  Finally, when I realized there was another larger blade in the drawer that I had overlooked that was actually for use with the 7 cup container I was using I was in business. 


Notice the random essential ingredients I have sitting on my counter.  A pineapple, some garlic vinegar, butter, pasta and my KitchenAid mixer.  Wow, I need to get organized. 

And the finished product.....


As you can see I still have 2 1/2 gallons of strawberries left and more on the way.  I think I'm going to have to start canning the jam in quarts and I'm slowly being coerced into making strawberry wine.  All strawberry recipes are being welcomed, so let me know what you've got people!

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment