Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WE NEED FREEZER ROOM!

So, in anticipation of Eric filling his Washington deer tag I was trying to figure out ways to make more room in the freezer.  Keep in mind, we already have two freezers that are at maximum capacity.  It's hard to keep up with a hubby that participates in every season imaginable (elk, bear, deer, turkey, game birds, fishing, crabbing, the list goes on and on...).


The first items attempted were venison chili and venison stew.  When you're ready to eat the chili you just add a can of kidney beans and heat.  Eric tried it out when I had tonsilitis and said it was good.  The stew just needs to have some corn starch added to thicken it up when it's being heated.  Eric tried that last night when I was at my dance class.  He didn't thicken it, but said he liked it just as it was.  So, I guess those are both passing as a success and an option to clear out the freezer.  And he hasn't gotten sick yet, so I guess I'm using the pressure cooker correctly. 

Then, for fun I tried orange jelly, bruschetta and pears.


Haven't tried the orange jelly yet, but I'm thinking it will be great on scones.  Or to be used in thumbprint cookies.  I've never made them, but I hear they're pretty easy.  Maybe they'll need to be my new adventure into holiday baking.



 



I love bruschetta, but never seem to make it at home.  I haven't tried this one yet either, but the fresh basil in it smelled amazing while it was cooking. 


 











Fresh cinnamon pears in no sugar apple juice just sounded like a yummy recipe that I had to try.  Plus, I thought the cinnamon sticks made it look kinda pretty. 

All in all, a successful day canning.  I might have overachieved with my planning and was exhausted by the time I was done.  I think I need to figure out how to do things in moderation.




And, I was right, the hubby got his Washington deer this weekend and it's currently residing in our refridgerator waiting for processing.  With Idaho deer season looming on the horizon,  I see ANOTHER freezer in our near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment