Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Red Peppers

So, as a child, I absolutely hated green peppers.  Don't put them on my pizza, or in my fajita, or anywhere near my salad.  I still feel this way, but discovered about a year ago that I don't feel the same way about red, yellow or orange peppers.  This started a mild obsession and I have since put them in everything imaginable (pasta, kabobs, sandwiches, pizza, etc.).  I still don't care for them raw, mind you, but sautee or grill them and I'm a happy girl. 

So, with my overachieving in the canning department the weekend before, I didn't get a chance to use up the three bags of red peppers I'd purhased from Costco.  I love Costco.  So many options, so many yummy, yummy, options. 

So, last Saturday, the task was canning roasted red pepper spread.  The recipe sounded amazing and I was up early and ready to go with plans to clean the house, make some jewelry and use the 16 red peppers that were waiting for me.  Well,  let me tell you, there are a lot of steps to making roasted red pepper spread.  First you have to roast the peppers, then you roast the tomatoes and onions and garlic.  Then you have to peel and chop all of the roasted items.  Then mash them up in the Kitchenaid, since I don't yet have a food processor.  Then everything gets thrown into a pot with a few other ingredients and simmered to reach the right consistency.  Only then do you actually get to put it in jars and can it. 

Needless to say, since this was my first time trying this out, I was not efficient and it took me forever since I was making two batches.  I learned a lot and if I ever attempt this again I'll be updating MY recipe to make things run a little smoother and quicker.  However, the house smelled amazing and the results look yummy.  Even Eric was suggesting possible uses for our freshly roasted, peeled, smushed, cooked and canned red pepper spread. 

I love the cute new Home and Garden canning jars.  The shape is short and fat and the patterned lid makes everything look more professional.




My kitchen helper, apparently, got tired of the whole process and decided his time would be better spent relaxing on OUR BED in the sunshine.  Silly, and bad, dog. 

1 comment:

  1. Love those jars! And you make canning look easy, I need a lesson :)

    ReplyDelete