Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Pico de Gallo

Last night was Taco Thursday.  This is a wonderful tradition from my husband's family where anyone and everyone comes over on Thursday (it has to be Thursday) to eat tacos, obviously.  It's a fun break in the week for everyone to get together and enjoy a meal and some laughs.

I tried a new recipe last night for the Pioneer Woman's Pico de Gallo.  Now, the Pioneer Woman is pretty much my idol.  She seems like an extremely happy and centered woman that's living a life of cooking, photography and animals.  Basically my dream.  She also has four kids that she homeschools, not my dream, but if I can trade those kids for dogs or something we're good to go.

So, I just re-read through my Pioneer Woman cookbook last weekend and was anxious to make something.  If you've never seen it I definitely recommend you go out and buy it right now.  It's full of amazing recipes, fun stories about her life and beautiful photos.

So, when Taco Thursday rolled around I decided that her fresh Pico de Gallo recipe sounded like the perfect match.  Fresh tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, cilantro, lime juice, a little salt, so easy and so yummy!

I forgot to take a picture in my frantic after-work cooking madness, but it looked almost exactly like the version on the PW website.  Definitely a new Taco Thursday staple.


And just as a side note, I think everyone should implement Taco Thursday or Spaghetti Saturday or Lasagna Wednesday (it doesn't have to rhyme).  I just know that every time we do it I'm happier the next morning.  There's something about family and friends coming together for the pure sake of enjoyment that really makes life special.

It doesn't have to be anything extravagant.  We literally decided to have Taco Thursday late on Monday night.  Grab a few groceries, invite some guests and before you know it you have 13 people at your house making tacos and building dinosaur poop out of play doh.  The point is it's about the people and spending time with those you love.  I'm pretty sure we could have served tv dinners and gotten the same enjoyment, but I'm guessing the chocolate marshmallow cupcakes didn't hurt anything.

Have a great weekend, everyone!  


     

1 comment:

  1. Taco Thursday rocks! Dino poop....that gave me a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete